Apple has released two significant software updates for its Macs and Apple Watch, respectively. The Cupertino giant is currently pushing out the two updates – macOS Big Sur 11.1 and watchOS 7.2 Final. Both the updates bring improvements and bug fixes to their respective devices. Let’s give you the essential deets about the two updates.
Apple watchOS 7.2 Final Update
The final version of watchOS 7.2 is now available for download. The OTA update has started rolling out to Apple Watch users. The latest update brings support for Apple’s brand new fitness-related service, the Fitness+, while adding some other new features and improving the existing ones.
It is pretty simple to download and install the update. First, you need to ensure that your iPhone is running iOS 14.3. The next step is to put your Apple Watch on charging, connect your iPhone to WiFi, and open the Watch app on it. The next step is to head to the ‘General’ menu and then tap on the ‘Software Update’ option. Now, you have to wait for it to refresh to check for the latest update; once it completes refreshing, you will find the latest watchOS 7.2 update. Just tap on it and start the download and installation.
Being a major update, it may take some time for it to download and install, so be patient. Even if you are not a fitness enthusiast who is not pumped about Fitness+, the latest update brings some other overall improvements and bug fixes.
Apple watchOS 7.2 Changelog
watchOS 7.2 includes new features and improvements, including Apple Fitness+, a personalized fitness experience powered by Apple Watch. Additional features include low cardio fitness notifications and support for braille displays. This update also contains performance improvements in .
A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV
Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
This update also includes the following features and improvements:
Option to be notified when your cardio fitness is at a low levelhttps://support.apple.com/HT201222
Ability to review your cardio fitness level based on your age and sex in the Health app on iPhone
Atrial fibrillation classification at heart rates above 100 BPM now offered in the ECG app in most regions where the app is available
Support for the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in Taiwan
Support for braille displays with VoiceOver
Support for Family Setup in Bahrain, Canada, Norway, and Spain (Cellular models of Apple Watch Series 4 or later and Apple Watch SE)
macOS Big Sur 11.1 Brings Fixes & Improvements
In addition to Apple Watch, the tech giant has also released a big update for its Mac ecosystem. The latest macOS 11.1 Big Sur update is available for download and installation now. The update packs some major fixes and improvements.
You can install the update on your Mac by first checking if it’s one of the compatible devices for it. Head to System Preferences and click on ‘software update’ option to check if your system has got the update. Once available, click on it to start the download. Another way of checking is by opening the App Store on your Mac, and you will find the update in the featured columns.
Here’s the changelog for macOS Big Sur 11.1 Update
macOS Big Sur 11.1 Update 11.1 — Restart Required
macOS Big Sur 11.1 introduces support for AirPods Max, TV app enhancements, Apple News widgets, and privacy information on the App Store. This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac.
• Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
• High fidelity audio for rich sound
• Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
• Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
• Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
• Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
• An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
• Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
• Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports
• Apple News widgets are now available in Notification Center
• New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
• In-game dashboard within Arcade games recommends new Arcade games to play
iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
• New window options for iPhone and iPad apps let you switch between landscape and portrait orientations or expand a window to fill the entire screen
• Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
• Ecosia search engine option in Safari
• Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland
• Health recommendations are provided in Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
This release also addresses the following issues:
• QuickTime Player might quit when opening a movie with a timecode track after upgrading from macOS Catalina
• Bluetooth connection status was not displayed in Control Center
• Reliability of unlocking your Mac automatically with your Apple Watch
• Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models
• LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
For more detailed information about this update, click here.
That brings us to the end of update alert for two of prominent Apple devices and ecosystems. There was no reported issue with the latest updates.